FY 2015-17 Performance Report
Department Mission Statement
The Coroner's Office serves the residents of San Mateo County by providing prompt independent investigations to determine the cause and manner of death of decedents under the Coroner's jurisdiction while providing high quality service in a courteous manner balancing the needs of those we serve with the Coroner's legal requirements.
Cost per Investigation
Percent of Cases Closed Within 45 Days*
*National benchmark is 90 days
Percent of Performance Goals Met
Percent of Customers Rating Services as Good or Better
Cost Per Capita
Percent of Employees Rating Working for the County as Good or Better
FY 2015-17 Highlights
- Although the national standard of closing Coroner cases is within 90 days, the San Mateo County Coroner's Office continues to exceed that standard by closing 86% of cases within 45 days of referral.
- The Coroner's Office continues to achieve at least a 90% customer satisfaction rating of good or better for services performed.
- Continued to offer the Save-A-Life Program as well as participated in the Every 15 Minutes / Sober Prom programs.
FY 2017-19 Goals
- Expand the Save-A-Life Program to include referrals from schools and parents as well as establish a program for Veterans.
- Begin the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) certification process.
- Develop an outreach program to local law enforcement on the role and responsibilities of the Coroner's Office.
FY 2017-19 Challenges
- Increase the number of customer surveys received
- Shift of case-specific tasks from clerical staff to investigative staff.
- Develop a succession plan for key positions within the Office.
FY 2016-17 Budget
- Total Sources: $1,165,832
- Total Requirements: $3,297,251
- Net County Cost: $2,131,419
- Funded FTEs: 13