County Service Area 1 (3560B)
Program Outcome Statement
The mission of the San Mateo County Fire Department is to protect the life, property, and natural resources of its citizens and visitors through effective emergency response, incident mitigation, preparedness, education, and prevention.
The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office protects life and property and preserves the public peace. The Sheriff enforces state laws and County ordinances, prevents crime, supports positive youth development, apprehends criminals,supervises and cares for incarcerated prisoners, coordinates emergency services, processes civil actions, and provides security for the Court, Health Services, County employees, SamTrans /Caltrain, and the public visiting County facilities. The Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing effective professional law enforcement services in a humane and cost-efficient manner, while supporting positive development within the community and youth population.
- Fire protection and emergency response
- Fire and life safety reviews of building plans
- Defensible space reviews
- Fire protection education
- Fire investigation services
- Countywide mutual aid program which sends the closest engine to any event, regardless of the city in which the event occurred
- 18 hours of Sheriff's patrol service seven days per week
San Mateo County contracts with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire) to staff a County owned fire station located on Paul Scannell Drive in San Mateo, which respond to between 400 and 500 calls a year, typically within the six minute target response time. The Sheriff’s Office responds to an average of 1,500 resident calls a year with an average response time of 9.17 minutes for high priority calls.
Together with the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, County Fire provides enhanced services to the Highlands neighborhood as well as several surrounding communities in unincorporated San Mateo County.
Percent of Customer Survey Respondents Rating Fire Protection Services Good or Better Remains at Target
Percent of Customer Survey Respondents Rating Sheriff’s Services Good or Better Remains at Target
FY 2016-17 Mid-Year Story Behind Performance
Percent of Customer Survey Respondents Rating Fire Protection Services Good or Better
Through dedication and effective community outreach, County Fire has been able to maintain a high level of satisfaction for the residents of CSA 1.
Percent of Customer Survey Respondents Rating Sheriff’s Services Good or Better
Through dedication and effective community outreach, the Sheriff's Office has been able to maintain a high level of satisfaction for the residents of CSA 1.
- Maintaining level of service through response times, training, community outreach, fire prevention and education (Fire)
- Executing vehicle replacement plan in appropriate time frames (Fire)
- Maintain highest level of standards and training for organization (Sheriff)
- Integrate crime analyst reports and technology applications to better enhance Intelligence Lead Policing (ILP) model with patrol and investigative operations (Sheriff)