Information Services Department (1800B)
The mission of the Information Services Department (ISD) is to connect employees within the County government and to connect residents to their government. The department strives to promote the effectiveness and efficiency of government and build stronger connections through reliable and secure infrastructure and applications, responsive service delivery, and greater transparency of information.
- Total Sources: $78,944,305
- Total Requirements: $78,944,305
- Net County Cost: $0
- Funded FTEs: 136.5
- Total Sources: $94,648,707
- Total Requirements: $94,648,707
- Net County Cost: $0
- Funded FTEs: 137
ISD provides information technology (IT) services to support the business operations of County departments and regional agencies. ISD services are classified into three major categories Core-IT support, Subscription support, and Hourly labor support.
- Enterprise network and security
- Data centers and server environment
- Telephone environment
- Website and Microsoft 365 applications
- County’s IT service management platform
- Geographic information systems
- IT service desk
- Virtual desktop and desktop as a service
- Data back-up/storage/recovery
- Desk phone
- Public safety radio
- Virtual private network access
- Productivity software licenses
- Department specific applications support
In addition to providing IT services to customers and performing various operational projects, ISD will focus on the following initiatives in FY 2023-25:
- Enhance the County’s cybersecurity posture.
- Make all public-facing mapping applications and other digital assets compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) to make information more accessible for people with disabilities.
- Leverage emerging geospatial technologies such as indoor navigation, geo-enabled notifications, and augmented reality (AR).
- Redesign the County’s technology service management platform to make it more customer friendly and introduce a new artificial intelligence bot to enhance customer communication.
- Implement Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and desktop tools for ISD’s Service Desk to deliver high-level customer service.
- Upgrade the Public Safety Radio communications infrastructure and systems for increased resiliency, availability, and functionality.
- Migrate users from the County’s legacy telephone system to a VoIP system which will enhance County staff capabilities while working remotely or at alternate locations.
- Implement a project portfolio management platform to standardize project lifecycle management which will better enable ISD to complete projects on-time and on-budget.
- ISD’s Innovation Program will partner with Department Innovation Champions to identify business problems which can be solved through existing or new emerging technologies.
- Implement Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Robotic Process Automation to transform manual financial data entry, reconciliation, invoice preparation and routing, service charge development and forecasting.
- Enabled translation technologies to support public access to County information and services. More specifically, ISD upgraded the County’s website which connects residents with their government to obtain information and access County services in their preferred languages. Furthermore, ISD implemented technologies to support multi-lingual live interpretation for hybrid online/in-person public meetings, as well as Spanish language closed captioning for Board of Supervisors meetings.
- ISD staff are members of the Core Equity Team, Data Committee, and Equity Tools Committee. ISD Applications Program staff partnered with the Chief Equity Officer to design and build the County’s Equity Resource Hub which was shared with all County employees as a resource to learn more information about County’s efforts to advance racial and social equity.
- Standardize staff one-on-one meeting agendas to include updates on the progress ISD and the County is making toward the County’s vision for equity.
- ISD will be completing the smart technologies sub-project of the Middlefield Road Improvement Project consistent with the North Fair Oaks Community Plan.
- ISD operates the SMC Public Wi-Fi program, which provides access to online resources to visitors and residents.