Planning and Building:
Code Compliance (3820P)
Code Compliance Division enforces County zoning, building, and other land use regulations throughout the unincorporated area. This is accomplished by making sure that construction activities and other forms of development such as tree removal have received the necessary County permits and are being carried out in compliance with the terms of permit approvals. It also involves responding to situations where property is being used in a manner that does not comply with zoning requirements, and by addressing public nuisances created by a lack of property maintenance.
- Respond to code and zoning violation complaints
- Work with communities to organize neighborhood cleanup
- Abate public nuisances including abandoned vehicles
- Implement Red Tag Ordinance
- Provide code compliance services to the City of San Carlos under a contract
The staff of Code Compliance Section is committed to working cooperatively with residents, property owners, and other interested parties to prevent and resolve land use and building violations in a fair and efficient manner. In cases where voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, the Code Compliance section may issue citations, levy fines, and use its authority to abate the problem.
Average Number of Days to Conduct Inspection Following Receipt of Complaint Remains Constant
FY 2018-19 Year End Story Behind Performance
The Code Compliance team has experienced a significant increase in cases since FY 2017-18 when the unit became a separate division of the Department. Since that time, there has been fluctuations in the staffing size and in FY 2018-19, staffing went down with the loss of 2 staff and the deployment of one permanent staff full time to the City San Carlos. However, current staff continues to keep up with the response time to complaints and prioritizes complaints that pose threats to health and safety.
Priorities for FY 2019-20
- Fill the Code Compliance Manager position and fill vacancies to bring staffing at appropriate level
- Increase code compliance effectiveness by collaborating with community groups and other departments on outreach and neighborhood cleanup projects