Public Works: Airports (4850B)
Program Outcome Statement
Ensure the safe operation and maintenance of County-operated Airports
- Provide tenant space and services to support more than 500 aircraft, 25 aviation related businesses, and a variety of emergency service and response functions including Air-Ambulance and Medivac flights
- Manage and maintain over 500 acres of airport facilities, infrastructure, and equipment
- Perform design and environmental studies for future federally funded safety, security and infrastructure improvements at San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports.
The San Mateo County Airports strive to engage and educate the local community about the important benefits of the Airports. The Program operates and maintains the San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations, State requirements, and County Airport Noise Abatement Procedures.
San Carlos Airport - Number of Maintenance Requests Meeting Target
Percent of Aircraft Observed in Compliance with Noise Abatement Procedures Near Target
Percent of Occupancy Meeting Target
FY 2017-18 Year-End Story Behind Performance
Number of Maintenance Requests Completed by Airport Staff at the San Carlos Airport
The Program met its FY 2017-18 target by completing 148 Airport maintenance requests. This includes all requests for maintenance at the San Carlos Airport, such as hangar door repairs, taxiway lighting replacements, and plumbing issues that are reported by tenants or users of the Airport. The Program maintains over 100 acres of facilities at the San Carlos Airport.
Percent of Aircraft Observed in Compliance with Noise Abatement Procedures
The Program did not meet its FY 2017-18 target of 99% of aircraft observed operating in compliance with the Airport’s voluntary noise abatement procedures (NAPs). The Program observed 6,797 aircraft, of which, 6,529, or 96%, were in compliance with the NAPs. In the 3rd quarter of FY 2017-18, the Program introduced new technology to automate and monitor compliance with the NAPs. The Program understood this technology would likely result in a lower, but more accurate measurement of compliance. The Program will continue to monitor compliance with NAPs using this technology, communicate the NAPs policy with pilots, and work with Airport tenants, businesses and associations to achieve a high level of pilot compliance at both Airports.
Percent of Occupancy
The Program met its FY 2017-18 target for the percentage of rented hangars and T-shades, with a year-end occupancy rate of 94%. The Program met its target for the percentage of rented office space and concession areas, with a year-end occupancy rate of 93%. Hangars and T-shades have waiting lists of three years and one year, respectively. In addition, the Program currently has three vacancies in office rental space and a vacant hangar at the airport, leaving a building empty for upcoming renovation/replacement. Demand continues to remain strong for aircraft storage at both the San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports.
- Develop an Airport Noise Management Plan that includes expanded community and pilot education and outreach efforts to address areas of community concern
- Continue to implement Best Practices from the Aircraft Disturbance Study including updating Airport policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and minimum business standards