Public Works: Airports (4850B)
Program Outcome Statement
Ensure the safe operation and maintenance of County-operated Airports
- Provide tenant space and services to support more than 500 aircraft, 25 aviation related businesses, and a variety of emergency service and response functions including Air-Ambulance and Medivac flights
- Manage and maintain over 500 acres of airport facilities, infrastructure, and equipment
- Perform design and environmental studies for future federally funded safety, security and infrastructure improvements at San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports.
The San Mateo County Airports strive to engage and educate the local community about the important benefits of the Airports. The Program operates and maintains the San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations, State requirements, and County Airport Noise Abatement Procedures.
San Carlos Airport - Number of Maintenance Requests Meeting Target
Percent of Aircraft Observed in Compliance with Noise Abatement Procedures Meeting Target
Percent of Occupancy Meeting Target
FY 2017-18 Mid-Year Story Behind Performance
Number of Maintenance Requests Completed by Airport Staff at the San Carlos Airport
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target by completing 130 Airport maintenance requests. This includes all requests for maintenance at the San Carlos airport, such as hangar door repairs, taxiway light bulb replacements, and plumbing issues that are reported by tenants or users of the Airport. The Program maintains over 100 acres of facilities at the San Carlos Airport.
Percent of Aircraft Observed in Compliance with Noise Abatement Procedures
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target of 99% of aircraft observed operating in compliance with airport noise abatement procedures. The Program’s continuing educational efforts and high level of commitment to the voluntary noise abatement procedures by airport tenants, businesses, and associations allows the Airport to be successful at achieving a high level of pilot compliance with the noise abatement procedures at both Airports.
Percent of Occupancy
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target for the percentage of rented hangars and T-shades, with a projected year-end occupancy rate of 94%. The Program is projected to meet its target for the percentage of rented office space and concession areas, with an estimated year-end occupancy rate of 92%. Hangars and T-shades have waiting lists of three years and one year, respectively. In addition, the Program currently has three vacancies in office rental space and a vacant hangar at the airport, leaving a building empty for upcoming renovation/replacement. Demand continues to remain strong for aircraft storage at both the San Carlos and Half Moon Bay Airports.
- Develop and implement new technology that will automate the process of monitoring compliance with the Airport’s voluntary Noise Abatement Procedures (NAPs). While this may initially result in lower compliance numbers, it will be a more accurate indication of compliance.
- Develop an Airport Noise Management Plan that includes expanded community and pilot education and outreach efforts to address areas of community concern
- Continue to implement Best Practices from the Aircraft Disturbance Study including updating Airport policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and minimum business standards
- Begin the study of new instrument arrivals and departures for the San Carlos Airport that support existing noise abatement procedures