Public Works: Engineering Services (4600B)
Program Outcome Statement
Provide professional and responsive engineering and construction management services
- County Engineer map reviewing services to the public
- Construction management
The Program provides engineering and construction inspection services to help maintain and rehabilitate County infrastructure for the community to ensure the safety and quality of life of customers. The Program provides design, surveying, and inspection activities for various road resurfacing and reconstruction projects in the unincorporated suburban and rural areas of the County, as well as continues to fulfill customer service requests, including both map and survey records requests. Finally, the Program partners with the Roads Division, the Utilities Section, the Parks Department, and other County departments to complete Capital Improvements throughout the County.
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better Meeting Target
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion Meeting Target
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days Meeting Target
FY 2018-19 Mid-Year Story Behind Performance
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2018-19 target for the percent of customers rating maps/survey record services as good or very good. The Program has developed a knowledge-based database to improve and streamline responses to customers on commonly asked questions, which helps the Program provide quicker responses and improve its level of customer service.
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2018-19 target for the average time to complete road improvement projects from time of appropriation of funds, to time of completion for seal and reconstruction projects. The Program seeks public input early in the design phase for road reconstruction projects and collaborates with contractors during the construction phase to minimize design changes and construction delays. Projects completed include the 7th Avenue Reconstruction and the Countywide Cape, Slurry and Chip Seal. These projects are funded by Senate Bill 1 (SB1) Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Act funds approved in 2017.
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2018-19 target for the percent of construction projects completed within budget and scheduled working days. The Program strives to establish strong working relationships with contractors by fostering effective communication and providing clear expectations. The Program develops detailed project designs and collaborates with contractors to complete projects within budget and schedule.
- Continue efforts to make more information available on the Department’s website, enhancing online customer services, and improving performance and cost efficiency
- Continue to complete the design and construction of projects by November and meet target deadlines to minimize weather-related delays
- Consistently deliver construction projects within budget and scheduled working days by continuously improving design processes and criteria to maximize project cost efficiency and minimize change order costs
- Dedicate appropriate resources to Program and complete projects based on road network needs and available funding, including the SB1 Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Act funds