Public Works: Engineering Services (4600B)
Program Outcome Statement
Provide professional and responsive engineering and construction management services
- County Engineer map reviewing services to the public
- Construction management
The Program provides engineering and construction inspection services to help maintain and rehabilitate County infrastructure for the community to ensure the safety and quality of life of customers. The Program provides design, surveying, and inspection activities for various road resurfacing and reconstruction projects in the unincorporated suburban and rural areas of the County, as well as continues to fulfill customer service requests, including both map and survey records requests. Finally, the Program partners with the Roads Division, the Utilities Section, the Parks Department, and other County departments to complete Capital Improvements throughout the County.
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better Meeting Target
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion Meeting Target
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days Meeting Target
FY 2017-18 Year-End Story Behind Performance
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better
The Program met its FY 2017-18 target for the percent of customers rating maps/survey record services as good or better. The Program has developed a knowledge-based database to improve and streamline responses to customers on commonly asked questions, which helps the Program provide quicker responses to its customers.
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion
The Program met its FY 2017-18 target for the average time to complete road improvement projects from time of appropriation of funds to time of completion for seal projects; however, the target for resurfacing projects was not met. The resurfacing project completed this fiscal year was delayed in an attempt to include the installation of a large storm drain pipe in one of the roads to be resurfaced. However, due to the complexities of the storm drain design, utility relocation requirements, and construction requirements, it was determined to exclude the specific road from the resurfacing project to not further delay the resurfacing project, which will be completed in FY 2018-19.
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days
The Program met its FY 2017-18 target for the percent of construction projects completed within budget and scheduled working days. The Program strives to establish strong working relationships with contractors by fostering effective communication and providing clear expectations. The Program develops detailed project designs and collaborates with contractors to complete projects within budget and schedule
- Continue efforts to make more information available over the internet, enhancing online customer services, and improving performance and cost efficiency
- Continue to work to complete the design and construction of projects within target deadlines by November to minimize weather-related delays
- Consistently deliver construction projects within budget and scheduled working days by continuously improving design processes and criteria to maximize project cost efficiency and minimize change order costs
- Dedicate appropriate resources to complete the remaining work and close out the Crystal Springs Dam Bridge project so staff resources can focus on other Department projects. The project’s challenges have included: its location on top of the Lower Crystal Springs Dam; high-voltage transmission power lines above the dam; adjacency to a pristine reservoir; environmentally sensitive habitat at both bridge approaches; and adherence to all Federal funding requirements