Public Works: Engineering Services (4600B)
Program Outcome Statement
Provide professional and responsive engineering and construction management services
- County Engineer map reviewing services to the public
- Construction management
The Program provides engineering and construction inspection services to help maintain and rehabilitate County infrastructure for the community to ensure the safety and quality of life of customers. The Program provides design, surveying, and inspection activities for various road resurfacing and reconstruction projects in the unincorporated suburban and rural areas of the County, as well as continues to fulfill customer service requests, including both map and survey records requests. Finally, the Program partners with the Roads Division, the Utilities Section, the Parks Department, and other County departments to complete Capital Improvements throughout the County.
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better Meeting Target
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion Meeting Target
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days Meeting Target
FY 2017-18 Mid-Year Story Behind Performance
Percent of Customers Rating Maps/Survey Records Services Good or Better
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target for the percent of customers rating maps/survey record services as good or better. The online version of the customer survey enables the Program to reach additional customers in order to capture their feedback. In addition, the Program has developed a knowledge-based database to improve and streamline responses to customers on commonly asked questions.
Average Time to Complete Road Improvement Projects from Time of Appropriation of Funds to Time of Completion
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target for the average time to complete road improvement projects from time of appropriation of funds to time of completion for the seal and resurfacing projects. This is in part due to the Program developing a process to complete as much work as possible earlier in the construction season to leverage the availability of the contractors and collaborating with contractors during the construction phase in order to minimize design changes and construction delays. In progress reconstruction projects will continue through FY 2017-18.
Percent of Construction Projects Completed within Budget and Scheduled Working Days
The Program is projected to meet its FY 2017-18 target for the percent of construction projects completed within budget and scheduled working days. The Program strives to establish strong working relationships with contractors by fostering effective communication and providing clear expectations. The Program develops detailed project designs and collaborates with contractors to complete projects within budget and schedule.
- Continue efforts in making more information available over the internet, enhancing online customer services, and improving performance and cost efficiency
- Continue to work to complete the design and construction of projects within target deadlines and complete construction projects by November to minimize weather-related delays
- Consistently deliver construction projects within budget and scheduled working days by continuously improving design processes and criteria to maximize project cost efficiency and minimize change order costs
- Dedicate appropriate resources to manage the Crystal Springs Dam Bridge project such that it can be completed within budget and schedule while overcoming construction challenges including: its location on top of the Lower Crystal Springs Dam; high-voltage transmission power lines above the dam; adjacency to a pristine reservoir; environmentally sensitive habitat at both bridge approaches; and adherence to all Federal funding requirements
- Develop project list for FY 2018-19 Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Act (RMRA) funding