Public Works: Public Works Administration (4510B)
Program Outcome Statement
Provide management, policy setting, and administrative services to the Department of Public Works
- Finance, accounting, and contracts management
- Budget and performance management
- Policy and program development
- Payroll and human resource management
- Information technology management
- Safety and risk management
Public Works Administration provides leadership and support to Public Works programs, enabling the Department to accomplish its mission.
Customer Satisfaction Rating Meeting Target
Employee Evaluations Completed Improving
Employees Rating of Experience Working for the County Meeting Target
FY 2017-18 Year-End Story Behind Performance
Customer Satisfaction Rating - Department Roll Up
The Department met its FY 2017-18 target for percentage of customers rating department services as good or better. Providing excellent customer service continues to be one of the top goals of the Department. The Department regularly monitors customer service survey feedback to be more responsive to the community, to identify and resolve issues quickly, and to look for opportunities for improvement. The Department has implemented several process improvement efforts and identified opportunities for greater outreach efforts, such as using social media for information dissemination, and enhancing web pages to increase accessibility of information regarding services, projects, and programs.
Employee Evaluations Completed
The Department did not meet its FY 2017-18 target of 90% of employee evaluations completed. The Department has made significant improvements in the percentage of evaluations completed, going from 21% in FY 2014-15 to 78% in FY 2017-18. The Department has implemented several business processes to increase the number of evaluations completed and meet the Department’s target. These efforts include better tracking, communication with managers and supervisors, and the prioritization of this goal by executive staff. Staff has also met with and coached the managers and/or supervisors that have the most difficulty completing their performance evaluations each year to see what additional steps the Department can take to increase compliance.
Employees Rating of Experience Working for the County
The Department has met its FY 2017-18 target with 81.9% of employees rating their experience working for the County as good or better. The Department values its employees and has taken steps to engage employees through collaboration, intra-department teams, strategic planning, and recognition. These efforts have significantly increased the Department’s employee engagement ratings in several key areas such as the Executive Team creating an environment that drives high performance, trust, recognition and support of employees, creating an Employee Engagement Committee, and effective communication and dissemination of Departmental and County goals.
- Utilize surveys and other appropriate techniques to develop a deeper understanding of customer needs, improve processes, streamline service delivery, and improve customer service
- Use technology to better track and communicate the status of employee evaluations
- Identify additional ways to recognize employees for their quality work and contribution to the organization
- Utilize “Agile” positions to provide strategic opportunities for succession planning and employee development